The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Backpacks and your health

James Matthew Mazzarese II, Reporter

Backpacks. Most, if not all of us here at AC Reynolds use one. But have you ever considered what they might do to your back? Something pulling on your torso, whether it be backwards or in other directions, seems like it might actually mess up your spinal alignment. In the long run, you could suffer from scoliosis (a sideways curvature of the spine) if your bag is too heavy or if you wear it wrong.

Mayo Clinic doctor, Dr. Jessica Sosso, had some insight on tips to wear your bag right and how to avoid back injuries in doing so. In her own article, she tells parents and students to pay attention to “the type of backpack” you get. More specifically, she says to look for “backpacks with wide straps,” as narrow straps can “hinder circulation”. Anyone’s bag should not weigh more than “15% of their body weight,” otherwise it becomes a risk for back, shoulder, and neck pain.

As always, it’s best if students “wear both straps”. Wearing just one strap causes people to lean to one side to accommodate for the uneven weight. This can ultimately lead to upper and lower back pain, strained neck and shoulders, and even scoliosis.

Students here use all sorts of bags every day, to carry around their supplies. They can often lead to a lot of aches and pains if worn improperly, and a few students here are feeling that pain.

“Sometimes my bag hurts my back and shoulders, I just carry way too much,” says Marisha Luna, a Junior, “Some days it’s worse, some days it’s not so bad.”

As stated before, you’re only supposed to carry a maximum of 15% of your full bodyweight on your back. For some, that’s just not enough, needing to carry around countless binders and other supplies to make it through the day, exceeding that limit.

Another student, Jay Espada, a Sophomore, had similar problems. “It hurts my back most days. I really just have too much in there.” If given the chance, he would try to “Lighten the load. But it’s all important to all the classes I take.”