The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Ways to prevent Bullying

Hannah Williams, Reporter

Recently, there has been tons of bullying happening around the world. Twelve year old Katelyn Nicole Davis in of Polk County, Georgia, died by suicide on Dec. 30, 2016, and broadcasted it on Facebook Live. Facebook live is a new opportunity to stream yourself from your phone live, anywhere you go. Katelyn was on a forty minute live stream as she hung herself in the process until her father found her in their front yard, hung from a branch of a tree. “This was absolutely crazy, what would want her to broadcast her suicide live?” Sophomore Haley Blackwell tells me.  “It is very devastating and sad for all of the people who experienced her suicide live on camera,” she also adds. Here are a few different types of bullying and ways you can prevent them from happening.

Physical bullying is when another person physically puts their hands on someone (hitting, shoving, kicking, etc) and hurts the person but is rarely the case of bullying that is used today. Freshman Chayse Howard tells me, “Physical bullying lowers confidence and self esteem, leaving one’s will and thirst for life at an all time low.”

Verbal bullying is when someone uses words in a negative way such as insults, teasing, put downs, etc., to gain power over someone else’s life. Many people’s lives have been in risk at home, in schools and business settings. Junior Mckayla Lee tells me “I think it’s very common and some people don’t realize that they are doing it or, it’s everywhere.”

Social bullying involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes leaving people out on purpose, telling another friend not to be friends with someone, spreading rumors and embarrassing one in public. Junior Lily Decker tells me that “In general, this shouldn’t ever happen, it hurts and it stick with you for a long time.”

The last type of bullying is the most common these days, cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages or online responses. Cyberbullying is what causes the most damage to other people. Sophomore Aaron Bradley tells me that “It’s not only against the law, but it also is discouraging and destructive. I think now social media is the bullies new way of completely swarming a individual.”

Ways to prevent these types of bullying are, tell a trusted adult, ignore the situation, don’t be dragged in the situation,  don’t respond, If someone bullies you, remember that your reaction is usually exactly what the bully wants, save the evidence, block the bully and stand up for yourself. If you ever are feeling down, The National Suicide Hotline is here to help you, 24 hours a day and will give you the help you need.