The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Significance Of School Band

Mary-Chandler Bridges, Reporter

For anyone who has ever participated in Band at school, they are familiar with the stress and hardships that come from playing an instrument. There’s teamwork, there’s perseverance, and with every note played in a concert there’s hours and hours of practice. Outside of Band, there are students that continue to perform onstage, but not for any grade.

Sophomore Mitchell Nance is a shining example of this. His former band, The Laters, is familiar with playing at local events, such as Downtown After Five and the Orange Peel. Nance is a studious guitarist and constantly collaborates with other talented musicians like himself. “I played music in band class, and it helps me outside of school in my bands,” Nance says. “It helps me find people to play with.”

Over 85% of music literates are exposed to music in a school setting. The importance of keeping these students in a creative, educational atmosphere such as Band shows even outside of school. “When you listen to music, you hear things that you wouldn’t normally,” freshmen Band student Hannah Barnes explains. “You can pick out different instruments and know what they are. I’m more aware of things outside of music.” There is significance of allowing students to participate in music, as it  allows for them to gain experience that may help them in extensive areas. It is shown through studies that students who are in a Band class at school usually make better grades and score higher on their FCAT and SAT exams. “Band kids are usually more analytical,” senior Azia Henphill says. “Since we have to learn to read music, it’s easier for us to think more logically because our brain is hardwired to depict hard things like that.”

In Band, it is essential that the students are constantly exposed to the ever-expanding field of music. Their passion may emit even off school grounds, in student-lead bands. Their creativity is always growing, and it’s important to continue and nourish this.