The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

The Last Book In The Universe is astounding

Cover by Youtube.com

Cover by Youtube.com

Ben Spring, Reporter

“I don’t have any of the answers, son. Never did. All I can do is keep asking the questions. Keep trying to make sense of why people do what they do.”

This is a quote from a book that will make you think. A book that pulls you in and takes you for a journey that you wouldn’t expect. A book that is a good read aloud to a young audience and it will enlighten them to look at things from a different perspective. This is “The Last Book In The Universe.”

“The Last Book In The Universe” by Rodman Philbrick is an amazing book. It is filled with adventure, romance, humor, and drama. The post-apocalyptic plot takes place in the unknown date of future America in a town called The Urb. The story focuses on a boy who calls himself Spaz, as he suffers from epilepsy and is cast out by the public for his condition. When Spaz finds that his sister, Bean, is sick, he must go speak to her one last time and attempt to save her. He teams up with an old man called Ryter, a homeless boy named Little Face, and a genetically improved girl named Lanaya.

The adventure is a decent tale of an underdog who attempts to save a fair maiden no matter the cost. A noble tale of loss and sacrifice and determination. The characters were very relatable and well thought out. Each character, other than Ryter, has a character arch. The author has put a different conflict in each of their ways, whether it be external or internal. For example, Lanaya goes through the internal conflict to see that she isn’t as perfect as she thinks. Spaz goes through the internal conflict to realize that he is more important than he thinks. All of the characters go through external conflict that put them in front of the face of death. The group must travel through three different territories, also known as “latches,” and face the three different lords of each latch to gain safe passage to Spaz’s sister.

“He’s a feral child. No mother, no father, no one to care for him or raise him or teach him how to be human. So he’s existed much like an animal, without language. He thinks in images, not word.”

“How strange,” Lanaya, sounding amazed.

Ryter shakes his head sadly. “Not strange, I’m afraid. His condition is all too common in the latches. And becoming more common every day.” – Rodman Philbrick

The only issue in the book that I came across is towards the end. It almost seems that Rodman Philbrick didn’t have enough time to finish the story or enough pages to explain in great detail the ending. A lot is thrown at the reader right in the last couple of paragraphs. Other than the rush to get to the end, the book is overall an 8.5 out of 10. The characters are well thought out and the adventure keeps you reading. At a mere 223 pages, “The Last Book In The Universe” is a great read for young readers who want a sense of adventure.