The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Modern Mormonism

Madeline Garner, Reporter

Today’s society is becoming more and more corrupt, for some people with older traditional values, it’s getting harder and harder. Many religions have traditional values and teach traditional views, more specifically The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) , also known as Mormons. As a Mormon myself and from what I’ve heard from other Mormons, it is getting harder to be Mormon and live in today’s society for several reasons.

Mormons are different from the rest of society in many ways. First off, The LDS faith is not a one hour on Sunday, couple hours for Easter and Christmas kind of faith. We go to church every Sunday for three hours. For members ages 12-18 we go to church for an hour on Wednesday nights and those in high school go to a 50 minute class in the morning before school. We have set high standards and chose to live them. A very common standard people have heard about Mormons is that we don’t drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. Often, we are misunderstood because people don’t know a lot about us and the reasoning for what we believe in. There are many cases in which we get discriminated for our beliefs. Us younger members even face that in school. Luckily it doesn’t happen a lot. We mostly get the question “But, why?” asking why we do what we do and believe what we believe.

Only a few mormons attend Reynolds. They have opposing views on the difficulty being Mormon. Quinn Skroski, a senior, says “A lot more people are very accepting of life choices people have. You can tell people you don’t drink or that you choose to only dress modestly and people respect that.”. Mormon students going to other schools agree. Seung Yeon Park, a junior at TC Roberson, said “I feel like if you’re just yourself and don’t make a big deal out of it people will like you for you and won’t get hated on. I think it’s hard if you try to be different in school and stuff but if you be yourself it’s good and easy”. Since society is changing in some ways it is getting easier with people being more accepting. However in other ways it is getting harder. Kim Garner, an adult Mormon and mother to Reynolds students, said “In some ways it’s harder because the world is moving further and further away from our standards”.

There are many challenges that come with being a Mormon in today’s messed up world, but if we didn’t believe it was true, we just wouldn’t practice it. If you would like to learn more about the Mormon church and its beliefs visit https://www.mormon.org/ or https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng for more information.