The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Politically Active Teens

James Matthew Mazzarese, Reporter

Politics. For teenagers, it may seem like they can’t do much to influence our government until they’re 18, the legal age that we can vote. But some find ways to influence their government, and it’s easier than you think. Teenage political groups are out there, and they’re getting this generation active in politics.

Two such groups, the Young Democrats of America (YDA) and the National Teenage Republicans (TARS), aim to push young Americans to act for legislation and political action action that their respective parties stand for. They make club-based approaches, each gathering teenagers with similar views to advocate for state senators, as well as federal senators and representatives to move legislations they like and deny ones they don’t.

Groups aren’t the only way to get involved. Protests are a great way to get involved in politics, by showing the government that, for a cause, the people will stand together. But protests can go wrong, and can even lead to danger. On June 4th, 1989, protesters had been peacefully camped out in Tiananmen Square, China. They had been camped there for seven weeks, calling for the ousting of corrupt government officials.

The chinese military opened fire on them on that day, killing what western diplomats and reporters on the scene estimate to be at least three hundred protesters, but could have been well into the thousands. Most of these protesters were Chinese students.

In more recent terms, the Ferguson riots are a way to show how protests turn bad. When a police officer was acquitted on charges after shooting a young African American man in mysterious circumstances, the protests boiled over, and ended with a lot of people getting hurt. In total, twenty civilians were sent to hospitals from protest sites, thirty-seven officers had minor injuries, and the damages totalled up to $1.2 billion. In comparison, the 1992 LA riots were totalled at $1 billion.

There are many ways teens can get involved before voting,but it’s important to keep yourself safe while doing so. Remember that it’s important to respect everyone’s opinion, no matter how much you disagree with them. Their opinion matters just as much as yours does, and they have the right to protest just as much as you do!