The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Art School Budget

https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F3%2F2100%2F5819184201_df0392f0e7_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2100/5819184201_df0392f0e7_b.jpg

Public education is a fundamental part of society by allowing every child to have a successful education, no matter what race or economic background. With many children going through public schooling, there are so many different activities to do, from academics to clubs that children can participate in after school; public schools have it all! Not only are academics and clubs important, but so are the arts programs that run through them. Most public schools’ arts programs don’t get enough attention due to the fact that it is very hard to fundraise money, as well as ticket sales for concerts being one of the only sources of income for many art programs.

The arts programs are in need of this funding so they can continue buying music and maintaining many types of instruments students may need throughout the year. With most choirs singing almost 15 songs a semester and a single sheet of music costing nearly two dollars per person, with a class of nearly fifty people, that adds up to an astonishing 1500 dollars per semester. The arts program needs this funding to allow the great success of all the students who find the arts program as an outlet for their creative genius.

Mr. Haynie, the choral director at Reynolds High School, says “Buncombe County is one of the finest in the state when it comes to the arts program, especially the choral aspect, as well as instrumental and the visual arts.” With so many great things going for the arts program here at Reynolds, students try to keep the programs going by fundraising for music and supplies needed to keep these programs afloat. The choral program here at Reynolds sells fruit during the fall semester to help students with trips and funding the program, as well as the band running a 5k to raise money for their programs. Without fundraising, many of these programs would have a lot of trouble staying strong.

Not only is the funding in Reynolds High bad but as well in the middle school. Mrs. Rayburn a teacher and choral director for the A.C Reynolds Middle School (ACRMS) Reynolds singers finds that the funding isn’t quite enough to support her choral program.  Rayburn says, “I find that the funding just isn’t enough and I only see about two dollars per student and that hasn’t changed since I have been here (since 1985).”  Mrs Rayburn does a Belk fundraising every year which helps students pay for their activity fee as well as helping the program out with getting an accompanist and paying registration fees but every penny goes to the student to help them with this. In the past this sale has raised nearly 1500 dollars on an annual basis.  Without this type of fundraising programs like the ACRMS Reynolds singers wouldn’t be able to function.

Overall many teachers have a similar idea of what the current school budget is for the arts program.Whether the change be more money for the programs or that fundraising gets advocated from the school more some sort of change must be made.