The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Daylight saving time

Matthew Mazzarese, Reporter

Daylight savings time. We all have some way it affects us, it may be losing an hour of sleep, or an entire change of schedule. Here at Reynolds, we’re adjusting to the schedule change too. The student body adjusted to the shift in hours, and some of them may be a little happier about it than others.

First off, “The basic idea is to make the best use of daylight hours by shifting the clock forward in the Spring and backward in the Fall.” This means maximizing the use of sunlight to minimize the use of artificial lighting. Benjamin Franklin said in his own essay on the subject that it was “the economy of using sunshine instead of candles.”

“It gets so dark in the morning” Said Kris Checca, a junior. “It’s a little more annoying to wake up in the mornings.” I’m sure many students would agree, waking up in the dark is a bit tougher.  But it benefits our use of energy, saving us the use of artificial lighting with daylight coming through our windows later into the night.

“I wish it would start around deer hunting season, more daylight for hunting during the day.” Michael Owenby, a junior told us. Deer season starts in September, so tough break there Michael!

For those who don’t know, Daylight Savings Time was credited as an idea of Benjamin Franklin’s, but his idea was different than what we have today. He proposed a change in sleep schedule, rather than a change in the time itself. At the time it wasn’t wildly popular. Modern day Daylight Saving time didn’t happen until WW1, when electricity needed to be saved. By adjusting everyone’s schedule to be more focused in daylight, it saved the use of artificial lighting to illuminate their travels home.

So whether you’re an early bird and love it, or you’re a late riser and hate it, Daylight Savings Time is a historical event, and it’s more useful than you may think. Try to appreciate it, because it will be around for a long time to come.