The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Breakout – Asheville

Top - Will Poteet and Luke Sloan on the left
Bottom two - Delaney Kitts in both and Ella Woehl on the right photo, both seniors at Reynolds.

Top - Will Poteet and Luke Sloan on the left Bottom two - Delaney Kitts in both and Ella Woehl on the right photo, both seniors at Reynolds.

Madeline Garner, Reporter

Breakout is not your average day out or everyday experience. Breakout is for the people who would rather solve mysteries themselves than watch someone else do it and have all the fun. The game originated in Japan and is based off escape the room video games created by Toshimitsu Takagi in 2005. It’s a game brought to real life.

Breakout is located all around the US and in Japan (where the game originated). It has different rooms that each follow unique storylines. There are currently three different rooms that you can chose from, with two more coming soon. One of them is The Kidnapping, another is Operation: Casino, and the last is Hostage. You and your friends have 60 minutes to escape whichever room you chose by cracking codes, solving puzzles and following clues. It’s part problem solving, part adrenaline, but it’s all fun.

Many students at A.C. Reynolds have been to the Asheville location downtown to try it. They all said they enjoyed it. Since the students have done different rooms they had different tasks to do. Will Poteet, a freshman, said “We had to solve about 10 puzzles in an hour, the puzzles included math and logic and physical stuff as well”. Luke Sloan, a freshman, also said “To win you had to complete some math puzzles, riddles, and find essential items around the room”. They all had the same fun experience though “I liked how immersive and technical the whole experience was and how it made the group really work as a team” says Will, Luke said “I liked breakout because it presented you with a wide variety of challenges and none of them were the same”.

Since they all had such a fun time they recommend that other people do it too. Will suggests “others do it as a bonding kind of experience and to try something new and exciting”. If you want to learn more or want to try Breakout visit this link for the Asheville Breakout website (https://breakoutgames.com/asheville/) and keep your fingers crossed that you BREAKOUT!