The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

Internship opportunities

Zachary Dillingham riding in the back of an ambulance during his internship.

Olivia Garner, Reporter

An internship is a chance to learn a new skill under an experienced professional.

Our school offers amazing opportunities for internships! These are available to juniors and seniors with reliable transportation to and from the internship. “[Internships at AC Reynolds] allow[s] the student to get hands-on experience in a number of related activities.” If you have a free class period, you can sign up to intern at over 30 different local businesses and organizations.There are some requirements such as being in good academic standing with the school, but for the most part it is an easy course to be accepted into. Ms. Smith is in charge of internships, so see her in the CTE hall, or check out her page on the school website for more information.

Mary Diez, a student at AC Reynolds, did her Senior Project on the value of apprenticeships/internships. When asked about Internships, she said, “[college] is super expensive…but an employer might see you working…[and want you] to be trained to continue working in [their] company…and they’ll pay for your education. You basically get a higher paying job, and it’s free! It’s paid by your employer!”

Currently interning as a volunteer firefighter, Zach Dillingham enjoys his internship because… “[He] get[s] to ride the ambulance…and it’s a lot of fun watching what [the firefighters] get to do.” Zach is able to actively help at his internship, and because of that experience, he will have an edge when it comes to the job market.

Internships are a great opportunity to learn something new and valuable. Some internships are even paid! They will help get you out into the community and gain both experience and valuable relationships. Plus they look great on college applications!

To get an internship, the first step is to do some research! Discover what sort of subjects you are interested in and look for internships that teach or focus on that. You will get the most out of an internship if you are excited about the activity. After thorough research, start talking to companies or individuals you are interested in working under. An email is a great way to reach out, but it is even more impressive if you reach out to a mentor in person. This shows real initiative!

There are several internships available to students all over Asheville. Here are a couple to check out:

Mission Possible: http://www.mission-health.org/student-programs.php

Art Museum: http://www.ashevilleart.org/education/get-involved/internship-program/

Government Internships: http://foxx.house.gov/constituent-services/internships.htm

Brother Wolf: http://www.bwar.org/volunteer/internship_opportunities/