The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

The Season of Giving

Krista Runion, Reporter

The season of giving has arrived and we all know that with it comes stress, hectic times, and lots of traffic. It’s best to plan and get gifts in advance, but if you have not begun planning what to get your family or friends, now is the time! To keep stress at a minimum, expenses low, and still have a great holiday, have a look at these tips:

• The Gift List- Many times it is confusing what gift to give someone around the holidays. This requires thought and listening for any hints or tips of what they want. Make sure to keep listening to see if your family or friends say that they want something while you are at a store. They may say something like “this would be great to have” or “I love this” which means that it would make a great present. Also just pay attention to what the person likes. Think about their favorite band, movie, hobby, or other interests that you could get them a gift of.
  • Crafty Creations- Another thing that would make a great gift is a homemade gift. Not necessarily our kindergarten macaroni art, but something that would be more thoughtful and have more meaning to the person. Family and parents would most likely enjoy this creative gift. You can find numerous “do it yourself” gift ideas on Pinterest. Not only would they love your present to them, but it would be fun to create! Even if you decide to make someone a gift, keep  in mind that you may still need to buy materials for it… which means being in holiday traffic.
  • Holiday Traffic- Waiting in an endless sea of traffic is no fun but that is normally what happens in December. There is not always an absolute way to avoid this, but earlier in the morning there is less traffic. As it gets closer to the holiday, traffic will get worse, even in the morning. Just keep in mind that “cars start crawling along the highway as early as 11am” (Pullen). It is not just shopping traffic, it is holiday travel traffic as well. People traveling during the holiday “is expected to total 98.6 million” and may rise with lower gas prices (“AAA: 98.6 Million Americans Traveling this Holiday Season”). These lower prices “boost disposable income” and would allow people to travel more with that money (“AAA: 98.6 Million Americans”). So if you are holiday shopping, make sure to go about the week before,  but you will probably still be sitting in traffic.
  • Plan your Stops- In order to minimize travel time and alleviate some stress, make lists and plan your day. To help you remember what to get everyone, make a list.  It is a simple way to keep your thoughts in order and for you to remember everything. Just don’t let anyone see the list; it will ruin the surprise!
  • Sales?- Plan your day in advance! This includes looking at ads online to “compare prices for the gifts you know you want to buy” (“10 holiday shopping tips to keep you merry). You can also plan the stores you would like to go to and plan your route. Try to think about a store that would have more than one person’s gift. That way you can check off multiple things on your list at one store and limit driving time. Also, with planning your day, plan your outfit too. You want to be comfortable while shopping because it will take most of the day. That means walking a lot! Comfortable shoes are vital to a shopping day, so make sure they are comfy also.
  • Keep those gifts “under wraps”- As you are checking off presents, go ahead and wrap them. This way the recipient (or someone else) will not see them and it will prevent last minute chaos. Once you buy or make the gifts you will feel relieved, but the work is not over; wrapping still has to be done. It is exciting to unwrap a gift! It can be with wrapping paper or a decorative bag. Either way, getting this finished will allow you a little more rest closer to the holiday, and their surprise will not be spoiled.

Holiday shopping and gift giving can be stressful but hopefully these tips will help take some of that stress away. Try to get your shopping done as soon as possible because you will have a more difficult time as the holiday comes closer.

Have a Wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!