The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

You Can’t Take It With You!

Matthew Mazzarese, Reporter

The fall play has come to a close, and as you probably know this year’s play was You Can’t Take It With You by George S. Kaufman and Moss Heart. This play features a guy and a girl in love, alongside the girl’s crazy family, and what happens may surprise you as their relationship rides out the events of the play. Will they stay together or will they fall apart?
The play takes place in a 1930s New York home and stars 19 characters throughout the play, each of which are important to the story in their own crazy, twisted, or hilarious way. From a crazy old woman obsessed with snakes to the Grand Duchess of Russia, the cast was extremely diverse, and overall a good mixture for what the play was about: a crazy family changing the views of a businessman who needs to live a little.

I spoke to a cast member, Sam Cheatham, who plays Tony Kirby, one of the lead roles in the play. He told me he “likes working on stage” and is “excited about the play.” He’s been working in theatre programs since he young in plays and musicals such as Hello Dolly!, The Dining Room, Into the Woods, and High School Musical.

When I saw the play last night, I was absolutely stunned by how well the actors performed. Each person played their character with great emotion and extraordinary accuracy, by actions and words combined to tell who that character is and how they feel. For more insight, I spoke to Jak Kickliter, who played Paul Sycamore in the play. He told me they “made a few mistakes” over the course of the play, from skipping over an entire lines to dropping firecrackers, but according to a few people I spoke to from the crowd, they never noticed!
Finally, I spoke to Theatre Arts teacher and Director of You Can’t Take It With You, our very own Mr. Robert Reid Goodson! He told me that he was “very proud of all the hard work everyone put into the show to make it a great success.” He also told us that their first night was “a great success” with opening night attendance of 107 patrons. According to Goodson, those numbers are up from last year’s by roughly 35, a positive outcome for our theatre program.
Talking about the show, he told me he was “very happy with the cast/crew’s performance.” Goodson told us “It’s always great to hear laughter,” his reason being that “It means the actors are doing something right.” “The patrons seemed to really enjoy the show” he said, citing their great reactions to the show and all of its crazy, witty little jokes and scenes.
In a final statement, he told us “There’s nothing like opening night. Even though there may be problems during dress rehearsal, the magic of theatre takes over, and a stellar performance is presented to the audience.” The show was great, and all that attended were guaranteed a great show, and an evening well spent.