The student news site of A. C. Reynolds High School.

Cedar Cliff News

A Memorable Reynolds Alumni

Madeline Garner, Reporter

Ever wonder where people go in life after they get out of high school? Some may go into medicine and others into business. As for one particular Reynolds alum, Luke Combs went into the music industry, more specifically country music. He is a great representative of Reynolds high school and inspires many of the attending students to believe that they can pursue a career in music.

Combs graduated from A.C. Reynolds High School in 2008. While he attended Reynolds he was a part of the choral and sports program by singing in chorale, being in musicals, and playing football. Combs’ chorus teacher, Janis Bryant, taught him for all four years of high school. She said, “From the very first day of his freshman year, I knew he had a beautiful voice.  He loved to sing!” … “I really pushed him.  Once he got on stage, he performed like a professional.” Mrs. Bryant shared with me her favorite memory of Combs saying, “ we were  the featured choir, selected to perform in Carnegie Hall.  We were doing ” No Hiding Place” by Moses Hogan.  Luke stepped up to the edge of that famous stage and sang that opening solo perfectly. Loved it!”

Students at Reynolds High School admire Combs in what he has done. A senior attending Reynolds, Samantha Fox, said “I think that it’s wonderful that he’s become so accomplished in music and it’s great to see someone from Reynolds find great success in what they love to do.” Students have also been influenced and inspired by him. Fox continues, “I think people from our school have found hope in him by seeing someone who came from exactly where we are and then has ended up becoming so eminent and successful.”

Combs went on to attend college at Appalachian State University. This is where he began to really develop his skill in music. After attending college he moved to Nashville, Tennessee in September of 2014. After creating a presence in the country music world he released his single “Hurricane” on June 16th, 2015. He watched as it rose to the iTunes Country Charts Top 10, as well as the Billboard Hot Country Top 40. On September 3rd, 2016 Combs signed a record deal with Columbia Nashville which is under the Sony Music group.

Now,  Luke is touring all over the Eastern United States singing songs he wrote himself. If you’re interested in hearing his music and learning more about him, you can visit his website at http://www.lukecombs.com/. You’ll see that his songs embody what Mrs. Bryant has said, “Luke is authentic and you can hear that in his singing. I love that guy!”

luke-combs-pic

(Luke Combs and Janis Bryant in the middle)